• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doiedm

:mad: I bought a car from a "note lot" dealer 2 years ago. Until recently I drove the car and passed it down to my 16 year old daughter at which time she agreed to make the payments. The dealer never contacted us to tell us the payments had not been made either by phone or mail until last week, after the payments were several months behind! We informed them of the situation and agreed to make payment arrangements making a small payment now and paying the balance in full by 2-5-02. It was then brought to my attention that the very next day they began calling our friends asking personal questions about our daughter and where she lived and worked, stating she had given them as a "personal reference on an application", they then contacted us again (another person) and was informed of the arrangements made, with the owner. Later the same day they began contacting our daughters grandparents and then her biological father under the same pretense that she had given them as a reference....when my ex husband realized this was not the case he questioned their true intentions and they began discussing my debt with him and demanding payment from him. He has no legal obligation to this debt! My questions I guess is...do creditors have the right to contact relatives, friends or neighbors asking personal questions about us or our minor children under false pretenses and then discussing our debt with them? Please advise us on how to handle this particular situation!!!!PLEASE!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">