• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm screwed big time...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kiem

California.

My cousin started out a furniture business. He asked me if I could help him cosign a building lease. To my knowledge, that is all there is.

Recently I got a letter from the collection agency sueing me for the amount the business owe. It was shocked. It stated that I am the partnership of that business, and I couldnt believe it.

I request a fax copy of that business license from the city hall, and suprisingly my name is there. So that means I was the business partner.

For 3 years, I had no idea that I was part of it. The only doc I signed was the building lease. My cousin probably signed my name without my knowledge on the business permit.

All these time, I never filed business tax income or whatsoever. I'm thinking of suing my cousin's ass and all the damage he caused. He is no where to be found. I also heard rumors that he filed bankruptcy for that business, if that's the case my ass is in big trouble. :mad:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kiem said:
California.

My cousin started out a furniture business. He asked me if I could help him cosign a building lease. To my knowledge, that is all there is.

Recently I got a letter from the collection agency sueing me for the amount the business owe. It was shocked. It stated that I am the partnership of that business, and I couldnt believe it.

I request a fax copy of that business license from the city hall, and suprisingly my name is there. So that means I was the business partner.

For 3 years, I had no idea that I was part of it. The only doc I signed was the building lease. My cousin probably signed my name without my knowledge on the business permit.

All these time, I never filed business tax income or whatsoever. I'm thinking of suing my cousin's ass and all the damage he caused. He is no where to be found. I also heard rumors that he filed bankruptcy for that business, if that's the case my ass is in big trouble. :mad:
My response:

Thanks for your story. Did you have a question for us ?

IAAL

Kiem

Oops.. Yes. My question is.. If he did filed bankruptcy, does that mean I have to be there too - like in court, to sign my name? The business no longer exists, but I dont know if he filed bankruptcy.

Also, what's the best way to me to sue him, for signing my name?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kiem said:
Oops.. Yes. My question is.. If he did filed bankruptcy, does that mean I have to be there too - like in court, to sign my name? The business no longer exists, but I dont know if he filed bankruptcy.

Also, what's the best way to me to sue him, for signing my name?
My response:

What good would suing him do ?

You just got finished saying, "He is no where to be found" and you think he's going to file bankruptcy. While there are ways to sue someone even if you don't know where they are, if he files bankruptcy, and you can't prove "malicious intent" or "fraud" in your lawsuit, then your lawsuit will go right down the toilet with his other creditors.

Since this matter involves a State or County licensing agency, you may want to talk to that licensing authority about your options through them. They may be able to enforce their laws and regulations directly against him.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">