• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Competitor with same name...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

windshielddr

I have an auto glass shop in California. I have had a Ficticious Business Name Statement filed with the LA County Recorder since 1993 (renewed in 1998). I operate under the name Windshield Doctor. In October 2001, I found a competitor in the area advertising as The Windshield Doctor. They are also listed as AAA The Windshield Doctor. I now receive about 2-4 calls a day from customers of this 'other' Winshield Doctor who are unsatisfied. The LA County Recorder's office says that I must call that business and simply tell them not to use my name. Is this my only recourse? If they are incorporated and I am a just a dba, does that give them rights to the name?

My good reputation is at stake. I am just a sole proprietor and the owner/operator. I have enjoyed steady business and in this time of our declinging ecomony.... I cant afford to lose my biggest advertising...word of mouth.

PLEASE HELP!

HomeGuru

Then hire an attorney to send this copycat a cease and decist letter. Your best protection is to register the tradename with the Feds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">