• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help on settlement letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quaspro

I posted this topic on the real estate board but perhaps it is more appropriate here. Please forgive me for being reduntant.

I live in NY. My lawyer screwed up my closing on a house a few years back and he has agreed to pay me a lump sum.

Before he pays me though, he requests that I sign forms releasing him from all liabilities going forward.

My question is how do I make sure that he will actually send me the check after I sign the forms? Perhaps I'm getting paranoid, but in the past, this same lawyer has tried to weasle his way out of his legal mess with me and I had refuse to sign other documents before.

The section on the letter that bothers me the most is the following:

"Mr. John doe residing at XX, as Releasors, in consideration of the sum YY Dollars, receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, releases and discharges Lawyer Mr. K..."

Now I haven't receive anything yet...but am I correct that this letter states that I have already received the settlement? My wife suggest I hand him the letter and demand payment on the spot. Do I have reasons to be concerned if I sign the letter based on that paragraph if the lawyer ends up not paying me at all?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">