• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad repair job involving loss of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csamuel

State = California
My computer broke. I had to send it back to the manufacturer for repair. It was out of warranty. A diagnosis was mailed to me indicating that the mother board would have to be replaced. I agreed to this repair over the phone. When I got the PC back there was a note saying that the hard disk had failed during final testing and was replaced without charge. The "failed" hard disk was not included with the returned PC and the manufacturer can't find it. My principal reason for getting the PC fixed in the first place was to recover the data on the hard disk, which was not backed up. Do I have any recourse?

racer72

The only claim you can make is for any software that you cannot replace. Losing the info on a computer due to failure of either software or hardware falls squarely in the lap of the computer user.

C

csamuel

racer72 said:
The only claim you can make is for any software that you cannot replace. Losing the info on a computer due to failure of either software or hardware falls squarely in the lap of the computer user.
Thanks for the input racer72. What about the fact that they replaced the disk drive without permission and didn't return the "failed" drive. What happened to the drive? There was a lot of sensitive information that could fall into the wrong hands if not disposed of properly and the only person who should be allowed to do that is the owner or the owner's authorized agent and I didn't authorize anything related to the hard drive. If I had the "failed" drive I could attempt to have the data on it recovered. There are numerous businesses that specialize in this with a reported 95% degree of success. But without the drive, I'm at a loss and feel that the manufacturer has exhibited extreme disregard for the customer's property, namely mine. Given this perspective, is there still no opportunity for recourse?:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">