• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

esmile

I am 20 yrs old and had been drinking at a party. I called my mom to tell her i was going to stay overmite at the party. i decided to repark my car from down the street. the street was dark an unlit and there was a cop standing in the middle of the street. he came up to the side of the car ( i was only reparking it) and asked me if i was drinking. i cannot afford an attorney and my court date is 1/9/02. my blood alcohol was .14. the speed listed was 15 mph. the cop wrote in his report that he stopped me cuz i almost hit him. not true. besides, i didn't get cited for that. he knew there was a party there and was just waiting. i understand what i did wrong but how do i plea? can i somehow still have some driving privilege so i can keep going to school and work? can i ever get this expunged?

F

FKNA

esmile...you are living in a country that frowns upon dwi/dui. Let's take a look at a few of the +'s in your case. 1) This is your first offense. 2) you were driving 15mph (California has 20mph and over clause). 3) your BAC was below .20% (penalties increase if it's higher than that.

Ok...lets get into what you are really facing. At the time of arrest your license should of been taken away by the arresting officer and you should now have a 30 day temporary permit from the DMV.

Since this is your first dui, you are looking at a fine between $390 and $1,000. Jail time will be anywhere from 96 hours to 6 months with 3-5 years probation on top of it all.

Bad news is since you are under 21, you have automatically lost your license for the period of one year. And there will also be mandatory enrollment in an alcohol program or community service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">