• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can anyone point me in the right direction for hardship filing??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jjk1

I am from Iowa, and need info on the perimeters of filing for hardship on my student loans, I am currently disabled and do not know if it will be permanent. please if you know where i can go or look or you have info. please let me know. thank you.

J

justathought

Based on experience....

If you know who your loan servicers are (i.e. Sallie Mae, Ford Direct Loans, etc.) go to their websites. Most of the servicers have in-depth sites that will walk you through the options of deferrments, forbearances, hardships, disability, etc. They should also have the appropriate forms available for download, if not at least phone numbers to contact them.

Only word of advice...Use certified mail or fax w/receipts and keep all of your information together. I had one "lose" a deferrment form, but it was (reluctantly) retroactively effective because I had all the backup. It saved me a little bit of money (late fees, interest charges, etc.) making the extra certification worth it. ;)

Best of luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">