• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a judge deny his own signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slpkntktybby

my boy/f's cousin had fines unpaid for total of approx $600. he went to the judge and the judge let them slide for some reason. he signed a slip stating his decision and gave it to him. well not much later after the court date, he recieved a letter in the mail stating he owed $1250 for not paying his fines. he figured that maybe it was sent out before his court date, and since the judge dismissed them he just let it go. well three weeks later he got anothe notice saying he owed $1275 for the penalties of not making payments. he called the court house and told them he had a paper from the judge stating that he didn't have to pay for them. they asked the judge and the judge denied signing it. was that just? could he do anything about it? this happened in Iowa

ALawyer

If X says Y signed something, and Y denies signing it, one person is either lying or mistaken. If he is merely mistaken, perhaps your son can, respectfully, attempt to refresh the judge's recollection by explaining the circumstances under which the judge signed and what he said and why. If the judge is mistaken he may acknowledge his mistake and that's that.

If he is lying that's a different story. And it comes down to the question of "who would they believe?"

When push comes to shove, the judge will be believed and your son won't, at least without without a handwriting expert who testifies as to a comparison of the signatures. But this case isn;'t worth that.

S

slpkntktybby

oh. okay. i'll tell him that. but he's NOT my son. i wrote "my boyfriend's cousin"..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">