• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hooner

Hello,
I'm from Edmonton, Alberta Canada, and I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I left on vacation this Christmas and came back with a parking ticket on my car. I parked my car in front of my drive way. Now my driveway is in front of my house, and there is a sidwalk that sorta splits my driveway. I parked on the lower half of the driveway, because i didn't want to block the garage, so in other words in between the side walk and street (which I presume is still my driveway), the ticketsays that I was parking on the side walk, when if fact I was not at all in anyway blocking the sidewalk. I called to figure what is considered blocking side walk and they said if I had a tire on the sidewalk. My question is, do I have a case? Would my lower end of driveway be consider a sidewalk or driveway, and if I do fight it, what do I do? Isn't it my word against his? Please let me know, I'm really confused and frustrated about this bogus claim. Thank you!

racer72

See the big red letters at the top of the page? Also, your laws are probably the same as here in the US and the area between the sidewalk and road, even your driveway, belongs to your municipality, not the property owner. The property owner is required to maintain the property though. That strip is generally considered to be part of the sidewalk, therefore you are guilty and should pay the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">