• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym Membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chaffey

I'm trying to cancel a two year contract with a gym as I have moved more than 20 miles away from the location. The contract says that I must move more than 20 miles away and have "an affidavit from an attorney showing name and new address." I have had my attorney send a letter, along with an affidavit signed by myself and a notary with a copy of my drivers license showing my new residence. The gym has already cashed the check I mailed in marked for membership cancellation, but has continued sending me bills saying that I have not fulfilled the requirments to cancel the memership and threaten to send my acct to a professional collection agency.
Can they continue to do this, or do these documents prove, from a legal stand point, that I have indeed moved? I'm getting sick of dealing with these people!!! They tell me that the affidavit has to have the attorney's signature and no one elses. It seems that I should be able to have a cease and desist order sent to this annoying organization to get them off of my back. I'm not, however, going to let this put a ding in my credit report! HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">