• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mneumonic

Minnesota-I am a promoter of music concerts. Make a long story short. We were doing a show in a venue we had leased in Feb of 2000. We had the contract for the venue and were insured.9:30 the night of the show about 10 of us were setting up the epuipment when a cop walked in the back door to ask what was going on. We told him what was happening and he was fine with it. Said he would send someone by later to check on things. We agreed that it was a good idea. About 30 min later he came with 3 other squads and informed us that his captain didn't want this to happen so we had to leave on the grounds of some kind of zoning violation. They would not give us the exact zoning laws we were violating. When we pressed them for the info they threatened to arrest us. We produced the contract for the space and proof of insurance. They told us that we needed a special permit to hold such an event. When we asked the cop how to attain such a permit he said that one didn't exist. This conversation can be verified by about 6 people. We checked with the city prior to the event and they said we didn't need one unless attendace would be greater then 1000 or so. We did not expect half that many. So 11 of us were thrown out of the space for some vague violation. They still to this day won't tell us the zoning law we violated. They havent pressed any charges. When I spoke to the police captain he said we were thrown out due to a "potential violation." Basically saying that at the time we weren't doing anything wrong, but we were going to. We lost thousands of dollars! I want to sue the city it occured in for our loses and the damage it did to our company name. Please let me know how I should go about this. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!!

Last edited:

M

mneumonic

Can someone at least tell me who I should talk to this about?What type of lawyer handles cases like this?

JETX

Read the RED text at the top of the screen. It could drastically alter your chance of obtaining a response.

M

mneumonic

Halket said:
Read the RED text at the top of the screen. It could drastically alter your chance of obtaining a response.
Thanks! I kind of over looked that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">