• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is non-compete valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

axslinger

Greetings,
I am from Michigan and have a question or two.
I signed a non-compete agreement in 1998 with a company I went to work for. It stated I would not conduct business within a 50-mile radius and would not solicit their customers for a period of two years after terminiation of employment (I already had a small, part time business).
I was laid off in July of 2000. Between that time and January 1, 2001 my former employer was subcontracting work out to me (my business). In addition there were a handful of small clients that he no longer wanted to deal with, so he gave them directly to me. They were now my customers.
1) Does this void the non-compete agreement?
2) Does it matter that no other employess, to the best of my knowledge, were asked to sign one?
Thanks,
Brian Witowski

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">