• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas: Is there a Personal Services Exception to the Statute of Frauds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nju76tfv

Someone in NY told me there is personal services exception to the Statute of Frauds. Basically, that means you don't need a written contract as long as the contract is for personal services and can be performed within 1 year from the date of making. That means an oral contract that is for personal services and can be performed within one year is probably valid.

Does Texas have the same thing?

My problem is my wedding reception site is trying to raise the prices on me from what they were when I booked in July. When I booked, both me and my professional wedding coordinator insisted on a contract. They refused to give us one saying the contract would be done when the menu was decided on. So I insisted on doing the menu immediately but they said that is not done until 2-3 months before the event. Also, they verbally promised to waive the $500 rental fee saying she prefered we spend this on our guests.

So now, all we have is the receipt from our deposit and the menus and price lists they gave us at the time of booking. I don't think they should be able to raise the prices on me after booking.

Any advice? What are my rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">