• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole Proprietor vs Corp Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ajcoia

I recently opened a Personal Chef Business. Being a Personal Chef means that I cook at the clients home for a fee. I registered as a Sole proprietor. However, after attending a class with a lawyer present, I was told that I should be a Corp. I am only one person, no partners with a very small business. I spoke to other Personal Chefs and they said it is a lot of crap having to be a Corp to protect my personal assets. They said there have been lawsuits that pierced the Corp Blanket and have gone after indiviuals hiding under the corp Blanket. Technically I am A sole proprietor and should be categorized as one.

Any thoughts about this and is it true? If I was to be sued and be a Corp, can they still go after my personal Asset?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">