• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Feel That My Elderly Mother Has Been Taken Advantage OF!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scskip

My mother is 73 years old and lives in Kentucky. She had some work done to her house, ie storm windows, entry doors, storm doors, and laminate wood flooring for her kitchen. All of this work was done by the same company over the past 5 years. The prices that they charged her for this work was astronomical to say the least.
I went home for the holidays for the first time in 8 years (although I have flown my mother to see us and talk to her frequently on the phone). My mother ask if she could borrow some money to pay her taxes amd insurance. I did not understand why she needed money, because when my dad died in 1984, he left her in good financial shape.
My mother was diagnosed with alzheimers in 1989, and thank God , I had enough sense to fly her to Atlanta for a second opinion to dispute this fact. She was then diagnosed with Severe Mental Depression and went through treatment successfully. She had a relapse in 1996, and went through treatment again successfully.
Now to the problem- A national home improvement company sold her and installed(Dec 1996), 13 storm windows for $4598.00 (which is ridiculous) on a 5 year term at 15.9 % interest.
This is the other work done by this same company:
June 1998- Front & Rear Entry Door $3780.00 @ 12.9%
June 2000- Rear Storm Door $ 568.00 @ 12.9%
October 2000- Laminate Wood Flooring for less than 600 sq.ft.(Not hardwood) $3564.00 @15.68%
All of these loans were rolled over into the other. Her house is now tied up with a lien or mortgage. The company sent her a BLANK Mortgage to be notarized, and the request for this was on line paper (not letterhead).
In 1998 the salesman unethically asked my mother to borrow $ 1000.00, and I have her bank records ordered for that period of time, to see if in fact she did or did not loan it to him.
My mother has never been an astute business person, and unfortunately not one to say "No". I feel that she was taken advantage of, and my question is:
What can I do about it?
My sister and I have a power of attorney over my mothers affairs, but I realize there was no way this predator company would know this.....
PLEASE HELP!

H

Hank A.

I am not a lawyer, but I am a contractor. I don't know why you didn't post the name of the company on the website so other people beware, but you should. 13 storm windows, sight unseen, unless they're on the 50th floor, $1300 to $1500 max. Front and rear entry door, with the doors, if they are pretty standard, $1500 to $2000 max. The only thing this company didn't do is put a gun to your mom's head. Call the state attorney general, many states have consumer advocate laws. Get estimates from other contractors locally, and call the BBB. Good Luck.

Hank

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">