• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E-tail Billing Practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbinder

State: California

I have dealt with online (etail) vendors for a number of years now. In all cases they charge my credit card only when the item ships. THis includes advance orders of products. The vendor pre-approves the purchase through my credit card company, but only charges at the time of shipping.

I recently dealt with a site out of California, who billed me for a pre-order at the time of placing the order - literally one month before the product was to be available for shipment. I tried to cancel the order, for other reasons, but was given a great deal of difficulty by the vendor, who claimed that all etailers charge at time of order. Having dealt with numerous vendors online, from large companies like amazon and cdnow to smaller ones like ECMrecords and COMETrecords, I know this is certainly not true.

The question is: is it LEGAL to charge for an item before it ships? Note, also, that this practice is not listed anywhere on their website.

Thanks, and regards
Dave

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">