• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have received a System Restore CD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hermanmb

State: Washington

About 2 months ago, I purchased a computer from a well known computer manufacturer. I have had problems with Windows XP (preinstalled), being able to restore the system with this companies "system restore" on a hidden partition. I did not receive any software backups, floopies or cd. They claim everything is put on the hidden partition (which it is) for convenience purposes. However, my 'c' drive got formatted and now my system restore will not work. That partition is still there, but I cannot access it with the F10 key, like I have in the past.

The answer I got from them was "You'll have to send it to us to replace the hard drive." They will pay the round trip shipping, but all of this could probably be avoidable if I had restore cd's, not just the partition.

All of the OS's have cd's except Windows XP. All of the computers with this OS do not come with restore cd's. The computer manual even states this, but then contiunues to say that one (CD) can be requsted from support if they deem it necessary.

Am I entitled to a "restore cd" seeing that I technically purchased the software? It should be licensed to me and I should be able to have a hard copy. Right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. also, is there a law that states this or anywhere online I can refer to?

Thank You,

Mike

E

excelrep

Your talking about Hewlett-Packard. I went through the same horrible nightmare. Then I just sent them packing, gotta a copy of Windows XP and sent all there proprietary software on my machine to the gutter. I will never purchase another computer from those dorks and everytime they call for a customer satisfaction survey I let them listen to a dial tone. Never again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">