• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

national teacher's exam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NRaye

Ohio

my niece is hearing impaired...was tagged learning disabled when in high school...was exempt from taking the proficiency test... she went to Malone College, Canton, Oh and graduated with a double major in elem educ and special educ... she took the national teacher's exam (nte) and passed 3 of 4 sections (elem ed, spec ed, professional knowledge and didn't pass general knowledge by 2 points)... when she took the test again, they did away with general knowledge and prof knowledge and called the test PLT...Principles of Learning & Teaching... over the same material as the professional knowledge which she already passed.... there are no general knowledge questions on this new test... so technically speaking, she passed the test the first time... now it's a higher passing score and more difficult questions and a completely different format... she is not entitled to any exceptions when taking the test except "more time"... what she needs is clarification on the questions... she has re-taken the test 6 times and has received a lower score each time due to the fact that she is so "psyched" out... isn't there a way for her to be exempt from taking this test?? ohio is allowing people without a degree to teach but emily can't teach WITH a degree in special education... how can that make any sense??
thank you!!!
who can we talk to?
NRaye

D

dorenephilpot

I do not know the laws in Ohio, but if passing the teaching exam is required in order to issue a teaching license, I cannot imagine that there are lesser requirements for some individuals.

Either she qualifies to do the job or she doesn't.

There are often lesser educational requirements for those with special needs to pass someone through the grade levels and to graduate, but the employment/licensing type requirements do not often have lesser standards because that would possibly affect the education that her potential students would receive, whereas lowering the requirements for her education/graduation would affect only her.

Hope this makes sense.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Ms. Philpot, you should know that, in an attempt to get teachers, different states (such as mine) allow UNCERTIFIED teachers to teach. I know this for a fact

Perhaps this is what the original poster is referring to.

D

dorenephilpot

Yes, thanks for the good additional information.

I would agree with your statement that some states allow folks who don't have certifications to teach. That's good information for her to know if she is unable to get that certification.

As I understood it, the question our poster posed, however, was about ACQUIRING her teaching license, so that's the question I answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">