• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

education college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

edmundnoveshen

Hi I live in IOwa City, Iowa and I am a student at the university of Iowa's education college. Last semester I had to leave school due to a health problem. Subsequently I had an incomplete class on my record. I was unable to retake the class this semester due to time conflicts but I wanted to retake it. An administrator at the college came to me and told me that I could finish the coursework for the incomplete and then go on to student teach. I was unable to finish the coursework. The administrator went to the professor with whom I had an incomplete and coerced her into changing the grade incomplete to a c. The professor with whom I had the incomplete complied. Several days later I received an e-mail from the administrator who had gone to the prof. and had the incomplete changed to a c which stated that she was going to remove my name from her list of students and do nothing more to help me. I vehemently opposed this and told her in no uncertain terms that I was still enrolled in the college and had every intention of finishing the program. She then brought me before a tribunal of herself and two profs. from the department who threatened to kick me out of the college for speaking rudely. They lectured me for quite some time and then told me that they weren't going to kick me out but that they would be watching me very closely while I student teach. I have this event recorded on tape, at their permission. I asked the administrator present at the meeting why she had changed my grade from an incomplete to a c and she told me that she had many things to do and was trying to simplify her job and get things done. I found this to be a dubious response and one that suggests a basic inability to distinguish between right and wrong. In my opinion it is wrong to change a grade from incomplete to c when a student has not done the work especially when I asked if I could retake the incompleted course and was told no. I am frightened of the people in the teaching college and don't know what to do? Does it seem that my rights have been violated? and ,if so to what degree. I'm anxious and frightened about people who plot and scheme and want very much to voice my concerns before I enter into my student teaching agreement in case I'm stepping into some kind of a trap. What can I do to prove that this administrator has conspired with other professionals in a harmful manner?

D

dorenephilpot

I don't see any rights of yours that have been violated.

From your description, it sounds like they've bent over backwards to help you but that you're still complaining.

YOU didn't finish the coursework. They tried to do you a favor by bending the rules and changing the grade, which was probably more than they should have done under the circumstances.

They're probably being negative to you now because they feel that you are ungrateful and a whiner.

A suggestion: How about directing your energies at finishing your studies and forgetting about how the school has somehow trampled on you by bending the rules and trying to help you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">