• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Law and Ownership and Contract Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

colinsnj

Hi,

I recently purchased a Computer item from a well known online Auction website. The seller shipped it to me via UPS. I requested $200 insurance and payed for the item using my Mastercard. The item was never delivered by UPS. When I called them they said that the item was lost which I find hard to believe. The item weighs 64lbs and is constructed of steel with an outer protective casing of 1/4" thick aluminium, simply put, it can't disappear into thin air. I called UPS to see if I could track down the item. The guy I spoke to said that the item was damaged and was discarded and that I should make an insurance claim. My problem is this:

1. Do I still own the item even if it is damaged?
2. Do I have the right to have it delivered and to assess the damage and whether or not to make an insurance claim for myself?
3. If I decide that the damage is too severe and therefore make an insurance claim do I still own the item after I get the insurance check?
4. If I make an insurance claim UPS said they will only payout what I paid for the item which is less than $200. Can they do that or are they breaking the terms of the contract we entered into when I requested $200 insurance?
5. If UPS do not find the item can I report the item stolen to the local law enforcement and still collect the insurance check?

Thanks for any reply

Colin Scott

C

colinsnj

I forgot to say that I live in New Jersey and the item was shipped from Ohio.

Colin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">