• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I be pulled over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cameo07

If I was at a party in Utah and there is an arguement, no physical violence, and a friends teenager calls 911, and I leave to avoid any more hassles. Can I be pulled over on my way home as a suspect of a domestic assault? Did nothing wrong in traffic but was arrested for dui once I was pulled over. Looking for stautues, cases, or rights. Please help!

B

bini

I do not Know Utah law, but this happened to my husband in Kansas. He was in another county (20 miles from home) Had a verbal confrontation with someone. My husband left and when he got 1 mile from home the police pulled him over. When my husband asked why he was pulled over the police stated that he was driving fine but that they were obligated to pull him over because they had gotten a 911 call. My husband in turn like you got a D.U.I. My husband did not fight this in court though. On the other hand this also happened to someone else. He was in a convenience store and I guess he made the clerk nervous, the clerk called 911 and the police pulled the gentleman over, he also received a D.U.I. but when he went to court he fought his and got off. He had in fact not commited any crime in front of the clerk (she had no reason to call 911) and he was not driving eratically in front of the officer so the judge decided the police had no probable cause to pull him over.
I guess the answer to your question is yes the police can pull you over, but if you can prove that he had no reason to pull you over, (you commited no crime) then you might be able to get off.

I hope this helps.

good luck to you and yours

Bini!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">