• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a REALLY quick and easy question!!! It will only take a second...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joe Blank

I need to know if I am allowed to sell information. Can I sell a state address and phone number to someone who wants to know what it is. Or could I sell the address of a web site that tells you how to "do something amazing"? That's not copywrite infingement or anything, right? Thanks a lot for your time!

JETX

Sorry, but your 'simple' question doesn't have a simple answer.

In some states, your providing this information could be considered providing 'investigative' services to a 3rd party, which could be in violation of state PI laws.

However, if this information is public and you are just selling that public information, that would not be providing PI services.

HomeGuru

In addition, there are respective State and Federal laws that may govern such information selling.
As Halket mentioned, there is no simple answer. Such information could be considered private, confidential, proprietary, trade secrets, classified, illegal..........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">