• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogus School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reporter

I am currently attending a court reporting school that, in my opinion, is less than professional. I am enrolled in the BS Court Reporting program. While I have maintained a 4.0 average in my academic classes the instruction and quality of the reporting instructors is suspect.

After over two years of instruction and hundreds of hours of transcripts my progress is less than acceptable to me.

Here is a list of my primary concerns:
1. The school does not follow any of the NCRA teaching recommendations and guidelines.
2. Some of my instructors do not hold degrees. (they may not even have state teaching certificates)
3. I have had no success in getting my instructors to evaluate my work and make any constructive advice to improve my performance. (there is no tutor program available)
4. The instructors just “read” transcripts, no real teaching and evaluation is offered.
5. The quality of the school and education services presented to me two years ago is more than disingenuous.
6. The school is not NCRA approved.
7. My student loan application appears to be the highest priority rather than my progress.

I have made my best advances through working with some established court reporters outside of school. They have encouraged me to continue and I am sure that I can do this.

I am currently evaluating several NCRA approved degreed programs that I can do online. (There is no other local school that teaches court reporting)

My question is, because this is such a “Mickey Mouse” institution, in my opinion, can I recover any of my student loan costs through litigation?

D

dorenephilpot

No. The time to have complained (and to have transferred to another school) would have been week one or at least semester one -- or you could have chosen not to enroll there at all, given that it's not even an accredited school, which is information you most likely were privvy to.

However, you have been there two years.

Unless they MISLED you in some way, such as said they were accredited but they were not, then you're SOL.

A school, Mickey Mouse or no, isn't liable for failing to live up to your "high standards," without something further, such as a contract violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">