• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drunk driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David Gneiser

I was recently arrested for drunk driving. I live in a small town and am well known. After staying out too late one night, I enlisted help to get my car home, because my wife needed in the morning. I own my own business, so I know better than to jeopadize my license. I walked home and was home approximately 1/2 hour when a cop showed up and said he witnessed me going thru a stop sign and would I step outside. I said no, and closed the door. The cop kicked in the door and arrested me for drunk driving. I am now forced to solicit a lawyer, and lost credibility when the arrest appeared in the paper. I have obtained avidavits from witnesses and am not extremely worried about winning the drunk driving case. What I want to know is what I can do to repair my reputation and if I have any legal recourse against a cop that assumed too much in that because the car he was looking for was registered to me and parked in my driveway meant I was driving.

B

bini

If I was you I would wait until the outcome of the case to do anything. If at that time you want to persue recourse against the oficer you will probably need to get in touch with an attorney. The judge however after hearing your case (you will probably need to have the person that was actually driving the car testify on your behalf) will probably reprimand the officer. After you are found innocent you should then write a letter to the editor stating how you feel and how it is an injustice to be falsely accussed of something when you did everything in your power to not only be law abiding but the fact that you took not only your safety but everybodies safety into consideration when you walked home. In doing this you not only will get back some (not all) of your credibility but the officer will lose some of his and maybe next time he will think before he does this to someone else. You did not state if the officer was young or old but I do know that most of the young once get on a power trip and they need to be stopped.

Good luck to you and yours

Bini!

R

RedneckRoy

David this may be none of my business but I'm a curious fella by nature so I gotta ask. You were home for half an hour? Why is it the cop couldn't get ya after you went through the stop sign?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">