• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!!! Am I going to be punished for someone else's mistake????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

worriedsick2

Help! My stepfather was recently arrested for causing an automobile accident while driving under the influence, which is an automatic felony. I'm worried because my mother does not work for health reasons, and he is the sole provider in their household. If he goes to jail for any length of time, he will probably lose his job and their house, and I will end up having to assume financial responsibility for my mother. I am really worried about this. Is there any possibility of leniency or accomodation in his penalty for this situation??

Can anyone set my mind at ease???

B

bini

The sad thing about anyone commiting a crime is that their family is punished just as much as the perpretrator if not more, and NO the justice system does not take this into consideration.

I will now tell you what I would do. 1st your dad needs to check with his work and see if there is a personal leave policy (at my job it is 6 months) if there is one he needs to apply for it if he does do a lengthy jail time. In doing this he could possibly save his job and some work places will pay you a percentage of your check every week. He also might qualify for spending a portion of his time in jail and the remainder in a work release facility (this of course depends on the severity of the accident). I do know that if at all possible and if the crime wasn't severe (Murder, rape, robbery etc) the court system likes for people to keep working that way they are insured you have the money to pay them.
You also stated that you mom does not work for health reasons, you did not state if she is getting any income if not then maybe she should apply for SSI (social security) If by chance your dad does lose his job, income is not the only thing to worry about health insurance is another.

Honestly though you really need to prepare for the worst. To do this you will probably need to talk to your dad. Go through his financing see where he can cut back so he can put money back in case he does go to jail. Perhaps you can set some money back yourself. That way your mom can have a small security blanket and you yourself will be prepared. if worse comes to worse. Perhaps he can refinance their house or take out an equity loan that will get your mom by in this time of crises. Perhaps your dad might have some cd's he could pull. Perhaps he could get a loan at the bank and you could help make the payments. Perhaps your dad is paying on loans now if so maybe they can be refinanced to make the payments lower. If he makes monthly payments to bill collectors perhaps he can talk with them and get the payments lowered. Alot of times you can get help with your utilities (A.K.A. electric, Gas) if you have no income or a small income (with your mom being in bad health she would probably qualify) Perhaps he will not be able to do any of this. All I guess I am trying to say is look at all your recourse and do not wait.

Good luck to you.

Bini!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">