• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted this in small claims forum but got no response-Any advice welcome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elnhelper

Posted this in small claims forum but got no response-Please help

I live in Sacramento California.
My friend and I decided to start up a small business. We put our money together and went out to buy equipment. There was never a written agreement stating that we were business partners. We never aquired a business license and did not make any profit. We paid cash for the equipment and neither of us have any reciepts. The equipment has been in my posession since the day of purchase. Shortly after we purchased the equipment my friend stopped coming by to help with production or business planning. Despite my pleading with him to help with the business he failed to make an appearance. He would not respond to any phone calls or email messages from me. He appeared to have abandoned the business. Yesterday, I recieved a letter from his lawyer claiming that my friend had given me a personal loan and that I have failed or refused to pay this debt. There was no personal loan and my friend has never mentioned this debt to me. The lawyer's letter claimed that I needed to respond to the letter in writing within thirty days or I would be deemed guilty of the charges. I plan to send a letter of denial to the lawyer and my friend, but I don't know if my words can or will be construed to harm my situation.
Does he have a case against me?
What should my next step be?
Thankyou for all your time.

Last edited:

C

cmomm1

i have a question pending as well----plenty of questions--very few replies to them---????wonder why????

F

fadvic

I am sorry to hear about what'd happened to you. When business partnership goes bad, it's like getting a divorce. By the way, even though you two didn't have a written partnership agreement, you were "partners." Just because your ex-partner hired an attorney to write you a letter, it doesn't mean he has a meritorious case against you. There was nothing in writing so it's his words against yours. Write the reply letter to his attorney denying the allegations. Since attorneys don't usually work for free (and I doubt this lawyer is doing it on a pro bono basis), your ex-partner will soon realize he is liable for attorneys fees for wanting to get something for nothing. Good luck. :)

F

fastdog2

Re: Posted this in small claims forum but got no response-Please help

elnhelper said:
I live in Sacramento California.
My friend and I decided to start up a small business. We put our money together and went out to buy equipment. There was never a written agreement stating that we were business partners. We never aquired a business license and did not make any profit. We paid cash for the equipment and neither of us have any reciepts. The equipment has been in my posession since the day of purchase. Shortly after we purchased the equipment my friend stopped coming by to help with production or business planning. Despite my pleading with him to help with the business he failed to make an appearance. He would not respond to any phone calls or email messages from me. He appeared to have abandoned the business. Yesterday, I recieved a letter from his lawyer claiming that my friend had given me a personal loan and that I have failed or refused to pay this debt. There was no personal loan and my friend has never mentioned this debt to me. The lawyer's letter claimed that I needed to respond to the letter in writing within thirty days or I would be deemed guilty of the charges. I plan to send a letter of denial to the lawyer and my friend, but I don't know if my words can or will be construed to harm my situation.
Does he have a case against me?
What should my next step be?
Thankyou for all your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">