• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School student rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikesr333

My son is a junior in a Southwestern Ohio high school. He's had some problems last year and ended up being kicked of the football team. He is straightening himself out and has been working on getting himself in shape. He has been using the school weght room (with the coaches knowledge) for the past several months. The other day an assistant coach came in upset and told everyone other than team members to leave. My son was in the middle of a freeweight exercise and intended to finish it then leave. The coach immediately approached him, ripped the weight from his hans and threw it. He then grabbed my son by the arm and neck and forced him out of the room. The school is now trying to ban him from using the facilities. I believe this is a violation of his civil rights. I would like to know what others think.

MikeP

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You have GOT to be joking.

Your son was where he shouldn't be, and failed or refused to immediately leave the facility. It was proper and correct to throw your son out on his ear.

Your son's failure and refusal to vacate immediately is merely a continuation of the reasons why he was thrown off the team in the first place - - he has a problem with "authority" - - and you are "enabling" him.

Stop it !

IAAL

N

NewEnglandMA

In response to I am always liable.Her son had every right to be there!Especially if the coach was aware of this!Everyone especially teenagers can fall off the wrong path.I give him credit for trying to get his act together!And as far as getting physical with her son that is way out of line!I live in Massachusetts and there are laws against any adult physically harming or tounching a minor.It can actually in some cases be called assault.I would bring this to the attention of the superiors because I personally as a parent myself would be absolutely disgusted.There was no need of that and he has every right to use school equipment like everyone else.That is why you pay taxes to provide equipment such as gym equipment to the school.If you really want to get technical that can also be a form of discrimination.Good Luck mikesr333!Don't listen to this clown!He or she probably does not even have kids!Typical!

K

katlyn

legal issues

i am a school board member in illinois. your son had permission from the coach to be in the weight room, and unless there are rules in your school handbook, that states only athletes can use weight room, he has every right to use it. as for the assisstant coach grabbing his arm and neck and physically removing him from the room, that is against the law and you can file a greivance with the principal and superintendent, and you can also press charges with the law, should you so choose. i am happy to hear that your son is trying to get his life back on track, and it sounds like he is doing a good job. tell him good luck!

K

KIDS OR ENEMY

Did your son try to tell the assistant coach that he just wanted to finish his workout and then he would leave? In any case, the assistant had no right to physically touch him. I am a parent of four and I pity anyone who would touch my children in this unprofessional manner. We as parents do not even have this right. It is called abuse. If the coach had a problem he should of called the pricipal or superintendent to deal with it. This is one of the many problems in our schools, authority seems to go to peoples heads. Now with a son who has had problems is likely to have more prolblems due to this incident. Respect is EARNED not given. When will some people learn this. Where are the role models for these kids now adays. Is this what we want our kids to learn, that when someone does not do what we ask that we get physical. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">