• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Tax Refund Offset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DonnaO

we ive in rhode island. lastyear, our federal refund was held by the newjersey statedept of education due tostudent loans. we were never informed of the offset til we filed and went for a rapid refund loan. newjrsey took the entire amount of our refund, $5,000. we've fond out we may be offset this year as well.we discovered that through a number the irs gave us to call.

we have no idea how much of our refund they will be taking because, again, no one has officially notified us. can they do that? also, all the income is my husband's. he files a joint return. if they try to take our refund because of my studentl loan, could he claim injured spouse? how long would that prcess take?

it just really bothers me that no one tells us. they just take it.

JETX

You said, "it just really bothers me that no one tells us. they just take it."

Are you saying that no one EVER contacted you about repaying these loans that YOU benefitted from??? Are you saying that you NEVER breached your promise to repay these loans that the state paid in your behalf (as guarantor of your student loans)??

I doubt that this 'forced repayment of loan' bothers you as much as it bothered the lender who got stuck with your breach. Or, the state that was forced to seize 'your' tax refund to recover the valid funds that you benefited from and refused to pay.

Simply, pay your bills when due and you will NEVER have this problem of "involuntary repayment" again.

Sorry, not much sympathy here....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">