• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dictatorship and city services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rccooper

I live in a small town in Texas. One night while watching t.v. a police officer came to my door and issued me a ticket for failure to subscribe to the city’s garbage service. How can a city demand you subscribe to a service and fine you for failing to do so? I thought this was still a free country. If my garbage was piled up and I was endangering the health or safety of others I could understand, but this is not an issue, since I take my garbage to my job where we have large dumpsters. I never even have garbage in my trashcans outside.
Is it lawful for a city to implement an ordinance like this? If so what is to prevent the city council from having a friend or relative start a service such as an lawn service and then implement an ordinance that demands everyone subscribe to and pay for the city lawn service.

R

RedneckRoy

I ain't no lawyer and I ain't got no advice. Just wanted to say how ridiculous that ticket is. Keep us posted once you get it dismissed.

crager34

On that citation/ticket, it probably has what you are in violation of (allegedly). Get the information and read it. Also, don't intrepret what is written from a normal perspective, it must be done in respect to the law.

My gut reaction is, this will be thrown out of court. First, look at jurisdiction and make sure it applies to you (city, county, street, name....whatever).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">