• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for loku...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenson

Question for loku...or any tax attorney

Hi loku,

I am from CA. My fiance was never married to his ex. They have a 6 year old son. The ex was on welfare from sometime in 1995-2/99. He never claimed his son as a dependent during that time. If a person is on welfare, can they still work but only up to a certain amount and be able to file a tax return in order to claim the child as a dependent? She lived with her mother, so I assume the grandmother could also claim the child, but what if the mother was also on welfare?
I am trying to see if my fiance should try to ammend his previous years tax return. And I don't know if his son's SS# was used for those years. You could say that I could always ask the ex, but she is not very helpful. Is there any route I can go in finding out if the son's SS# was used for tax year 96-99?

Last edited:

J

jenson

Question for any tax attorney

just trying to get this answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">