• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2000 DWI Statistics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RedneckRoy

This post was going to be in response to another. The more I wrote the more I thought it best I just start a new topic. This post is in no way supporting one view or another. It’s just some cold hard numbers that I found interesting.

Here’s some more food for thought. I did a little research on nationwide car crashes and this is what I came up with. In 2000 there were 6,393,409 crashes. Out of that only 16,653 were alcohol related. That’s a whopping .2%. Now before all you drunk drivers get a big smirk on your face, there’s more. This was the good news.

Out of the 6 million crashes only 37,409 resulted in fatalities, .5%. Not too shabby. Now for the bad news, 508,000 crashes had alcohol as a factor 7%. Still not to shabby, but now for the bad news. Out of the 37,409 fatalities there was 14,264 fatalities where alcohol as a factor, that’s a BIG 38%.

More food for thought, out of all those fatalities 56% didn’t have their seat belt on. All information was obtained from the National Center for Statistics & Analysis and NHSTA.

One thing I find confusing and maybe someone can explain it to this Redneck is when the NCSA/NHSTA cites alcohol related cases they said this; “42% of crashes involving an alcohol impaired or intoxicated driver or non-occupant resulted in an involved person being killed or injured.” That sentence ain’t making no sense to me. Explain it if ya can.

Take home what ya want to get out of it. For me, all this says if I drink n drive and get myself into an accident odds are high someone is going to die.

D

deefran

Interesting and informative post Redneck Roy...though isn't any percentage no matter how low still too many risks to take with innocent lives??

M

mcormick

%

good post redneckroy,keep up the good work.How about some % on how much lawyers are making off this crime.I bet they dont care about the slogan ( dont drink and drive).they need the cases,thats why alot of the loopholes have been closed.

R

RedneckRoy

deefran don't know what kind of math classes you been taking, but my books say 38% is high.

R

RedneckRoy

mccormick funny thing you mentioned that. I read one of your others posts and that got me to a thinking on what kind a revenue the states make off dwi. So I went on my search never found anything conlusive. On my journey trying to get that information is when I stumbled across the NHSTA site and figured it had some good info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">