• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My crazy idea. Will this work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheRook

First, let me explain what an MMORPG is. MMORPG stands for Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing game. If you play video games and keep up on the latest news, you may have heard of this new phenomena. Basically, people buy the game, and then pay a monthly fee to login to the servers.

Those that play these games are fanatical about them. In Korea, one of their MMORPG's has over 1 million subscribers. The problem is, none of these MMORPG's has got it right yet. What "it" is is subject to great debate. However, I think I have the answer that many people are looking for. The problem is, an MMORPG can take an esitmated 15 million dollars to get started, but it's not the money that I am writing here about. I will worry about getting the investor later. My goal is to write a Design Document. The DD would explain in great detail about how the MMORPG would be laid out. It's kind of the blueprint for the project. Now, I could do this by myself, but it's a big task, and I'm not knowledgable in all the aspects. So here is my plan.

I would find someone who is knowlegable in each of the areas that I am not. We would form a team, and together write the plan. We would all be full partners in this project, so if anything came of it, we would all benefit the same. When the project was done, we could either sell the idea, or find venture capital, and build it ourselves.

I put the plan into action, and recieved about 30 responses. I have people who are experts in the field of business, programming, computer graphics etc. What we don't have is any good legal assistance. before we can even begin to start putting our ideas on paper, we need to have a business plan in place. We need to know what legalities are involved with what we are doing.

I have a few questions that will help us get started, if you don't mind.

1) Is this idea legal? To me, it's like forming a band. All the contributers are the musicians, and we are writing a song (design document), that we hope a record company (investor) will put the money up for.

2) I have been reading about copyrights and patents, but I'm not sure which one covers this design document we hope to create. I know finished software is usually copyrighted, but what covers the design ideas for that software?

3) Who owns the finished document? If I contribute 30% to the document, and someone else contributes 5%, is his share the same as mine? Is there some legal precedent for this?

4) What if someone leaves in the middle of the project? Does he forfeit what he's put into it?

5) I know at some point, we will require the services of an attorney. I just get the feeling that this will be prohibitively expensive. I was hoping to keep the design part of this process money free. Is it possible to exchange a share of the company to a lawyer for his legal services? Or is there some kind of legal red tape that prevents this arrangement?

6) Lastly, I live in Florida, many of the others live in other states and some in other countries. We are planning on doing the design over the net, but what kind of ramifications does our living in different locations bring us?

Thank you, in advance, for you assistance.

Marc Vadnais

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">