• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes On Signing Bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GkwofAtl

My employer paid me a sign on bonus and issued me a check separate from my regular paycheck. At the end of the year will I get separate W-2's, one for the bonus and the other for wages or will they be on 1 W2 for the total. If there are separate W-2's, do you just treat them like you would if you had W-2's from each employer you worked for and add them together and place in the wages column of tax return

L

loku

WILL I GET SEPARATE W-2'S, ONE FOR THE BONUS AND THE OTHER FOR WAGES OR WILL THEY BE ON 1 W2 FOR THE TOTAL.
You should get one W-2, which includes the total.

IF THERE ARE SEPARATE W-2'S, DO YOU JUST TREAT THEM LIKE YOU WOULD IF YOU HAD W-2'S FROM EACH EMPLOYER YOU WORKED FOR AND ADD THEM TOGETHER AND PLACE IN THE WAGES COLUMN OF TAX RETURN
If for some reason, you do get separate W-2s, you are correct: you treat them like you would if you had W-2s from each employer you worked for as you said.

G

GkwofAtl

rE: TAXES on bonus

I notice that the withholding on my check was about 28%. So if the bonus is added in with other wages then it should be taxed like regular wages, right and not at 28% on my federal return. Which, I figure means I should get some a lot of what was withheld at 28% back.

L

loku

You are probably correct; however, the only way to know for sure is to prepare the return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">