• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail vs Wholesale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JonT

I'm in King County in WA state. I'm starting a business out of my home. I am not sure whether to file my Master Application as Retail or Wholesale as I cannot find a definition that explains, in plain english, the absolute difference between the two. I will be needing to purchase plants, containers and soil

I am aware of the basic differences between the two as far as sales and purchases go but am not sure in regards to the filing status for taxes and such. Can anyone advise me as to what designates a retail liscense from wholesale?

D

dnkravitz

I have done extensive research for weeks now preceeding the starting of my own home-based business. The forms I see that want to know which one or both you are in business for are the forms to register for taxes within a state and the IRS's form SS-4 for an EIN (employer identification number). Their definition seems to be as simple as the definition you and I understand. If you plan on selling your products to individuals, this is considered retail. Wholesale selling, as far as price, concerns the business owner only. Wholesale selling as far as the forms are concerned, refer to the business owner selling to other businesses. This is assuming these are businesses with their own EIN # and are registered businesses. That is what I have learned and deciphered from all my reading. Keep in mind, I am NOT a lawyer or an accountant.

I don't think it changes anything as far as to whom you sell your wares or for how much. The calculations for state and federal taxes stay the same. You simply pay your taxes based on your income, however it may come.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">