• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tman127

It has recently been brought to my attention that because I pay more than 50% of the child support and also because me and the mother never married that I can claim my daughter on my tax return.Is there any Florida law that would override the IRS tax rule giving me the right to claim my daughter???There is no court documents specifically giving her that right.Any help would be welcome.:)

L

loku

The general rule is that if you did pay more than 50% of the support, you can take the deduction federally, and if you can take it federally, you automatically take it for Florida purposes, since the Florida tax is based on the federal.

A state court can not override federal income tax law, so there is no problem there. For all the rules, download for free IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">