• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a business license to do collections privately?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candymax2001

in the state of Tennessee, do i need to get a license to do collections privately? in other words i will be operating out of my home , using the phone to try to collect deliquent accounts for various people and companies.

JETX

Yes, you will need to meet qualifications and licensing requirements to perform 'Debt Collection' activities for 3rd parties in Tennessee.

For example, you (even as a single employee working from home) will have to meet the following:
"License Requirements:
T. C. A. 62-20-108 (a) (1) Every Collection Service shall have, for each location at which it conducts business, a location manager who has submitted an application on a form prescribed by the board, and has demonstrated to the satisfaction of the board that he/she has passed an examination approved by the board. An applicant must have (1) one year experience within a three year period of the date the examination in a business which is governedbby laws similar to those laws which govern a licensed collection service, including but not limited to, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act."

Here is a link to the regulatory agency involved:
http://www.state.tn.us/commerce/collect.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">