• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on rental income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmagoo

i have a second home, basically instead of selling it, i rent it out just to have the mortgage paid. i pay the mortgage based on my income that is already taxed, however at the end of the year, i get a 1099 for rental income that i have to pay taxes on all over again. the way the rental is setup, i basically break even with the income matching exactly what my mortgage and taxes are.

just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, ideas or comments on this... i just think its pretty messed up....

vrzirn

Who sends you a 1099? This should be fairly straightforward.
1. You collect rent.
2. You pay mortgage, taxes, bills related to property.
3. On your tax return you deduct mortgage interest, taxes, bills relating to propery.
4. You deduct house depreciation.
5. You deduct portion of initial loan cost fees.
5. Balance is either a negative or a positive. If it is positive, you pay income tax on that amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">