• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the first amendment

• Thread starter angel_baby72701
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angel_baby72701

I live in NC, but that shouldn't really matter when it comes to a question about the Constitution. I learned in one of my classes that the First Amendment gives freedom of religion and freedom to practice religion of choice. If a 15 year old's dad punishes her for not being a Christian, isn't that a violation of the First Amendment?? And couldn't it be taken to court?? Let me in on some details because I am tired for being punished because of my religious choices.:confused:

R

RedneckRoy

Angel baby, it's like this. Their house, their rules. When you become an ADULT, then you have the freedom to make your own choices.

crager34

If you want to take it to that level, and depending upon the punishment, you would have a case. Just because a child lives under the parents roof, doesn't mean their rights come from the parents only. They have equal rights under the U.S. Constitution.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The first amendment means that the GOVERNMENT cannot force you to practice or not practice any particular religion. Your parents are a different matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">