• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of inherited land - capital gain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cool1

I'm doing my brother-in-law's taxes. During the year his father died leaving a piece of land that was divided among the kids. The land was immediately sold, and my BIL's portion was $8500. Does he need to claim this as a capital gain, or can he just consider it a gift and not list it on his 1040? Thanks!!!!!

L

loku

If the estate sold the property and distributed the money to your brother-in-law, then it would be an inheritance, and he would not have to list it.

If the land was distributed and then sold, he would have to report the transaction, but since it was presumably sold at the fair market value at the date of death, the basis would be the same as the sale price and so there would be no capital gain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">