• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angiefolsom

I bought a car from a carlot in Indiana. I moved down here to Kentucky and on my way down to Kentucky the motor in the car blew up. I hadn't had the car two weeks. When I started making payments on the car I also purchased a warranty with it. When the car blew up The warranty did not cover what needed to be fixed so I called the carlot back. They told me the warranty would cover it and I called the warranty company and they told me that it did not cover it. I had to call a mechanic and he towed it in and fixed the car for 2000.00 I did not have the money so I called the car lot and told them to come and pick the car up. They told me they would send someone to pick the car up. The tow bill plus maintence is over 5000.00. I recieved a letter this morning saying they want 1500.00 for the car I dont have the car and cant afford to get it from the garage and the carlot would not come and pick it up so what do I do? please help me.

D

Defensive1

Warranty policies are INSURANCE policies. I'd suggest that you have your insurance agent or lawyer read it and see if they think it's covered.
Many warranty companies say it's not covered, when it really is.

I had 7 warranty claims on two cars by two different warranty companies DENY claims.

I had an insurance agent read the policy first. He said the repairs WERE COVERED. A lawyer confirmed that and wrote letters to the warranty company, and they okayed the repairs.

You might need to have several insurance agents read the contracts, especially ask property and casualty agents. Don't ask a life only agent. Also many agents are NOT good at reading contracts and will NOT admit it. Maybe you can qualify for help from legal aid?

Another better tack to take is request aid from your states insurance commission. State your case in as few words as possible, send them a CLEAR copy of the warranty, repair reports, and any helpful info. Send a Carbon copy of the letter, but not the documentation, unless they do NOT already have it. Insurance companies DO NOT like to have complaints in their file. You want to send a copy to the state that is also their home state as well as your resident state and maybe the state where you bought the policy. Insurance commissioners might be slow, but do NOT be surprised if you get a quick call from the insurance company wanting to settle your claim for the lowest cost possible. Don't jump at the first offer.

Another place to seek help is the Attorney General Consumer Protection department in the two states involved, and maybe the insurance company's home (domicile) state.

A letter to the insurance commissioner has worked wonders for me. However, the fewer the words (and more business like), they better. Teh investigator's office is usually understaffed and flooded with complaints. Their first step is to log in the compliant, issue a file number, and send a form letter to the company asking for a reply with X days (usually 30) and a copy of everything that you send them. This step might take several more weeks to be mailed to the insurance company.

It might be good to CC and list all CC'ed at the bottom of the letter so that all parties especially the warranty (insursnce company) will know that they will have to be answering A LOT of uncomfortable questions from state regulators. That's why they may offer a quick CHEAP fix, to be able to say to all regulators that we did NOT realize there was a problem, but IMMEDIATELY resolved it by an offer that was accepted by the complainant.

H

HankHill

dude- all your blowhard crap about insurance policies ignores this person's first problem. Lady- you still owe the money for the car. Every used car lot in the freakin world stamps junkers with "AS IS". Doesn't matter if the car blew up two seconds or two weeks out of the lot. AS IS means you get what you pay for. "I'm broke" doesn't excuse you from paying for the car. You can sit on your hands and get a judgement aganst you. Then you'll be paying interest on top of the money you already owe till you pay it off.

C

connerempire

HankHill, you're a moron.

HankHill, I can't believe your vast ignorance. First of all, it IS a warranty issue because she has $5,000 in repairs and associated costs that is likely covered by the warranty she purchased, that is why she's having trouble with the $1,500 she owes to the dealer. Your trite quip about "AS IS" is moot because she purchased a warranty, dumb-ass. The third party who issued the warranty is responsible for anything the warranty covered, so she DOES need to take it up with a legal or insurance professional. Finally, she isn't saying that she refuses to pay for the car, so once again you wasted your misplaced intelligence telling her that she needs to pay the car or wait for a judgment against her.

S

starrleicht

Heaven's - what's wrong with you people in here?!? :confused:

I just joined, this is the first thread I read (oops...turned poet there for a sec..lol) and everyone is so snotty and mean! That's sad to see.

Guess I will mosey around a bit more but do you all have to be so snotty and snide? Makes a person very reluctant to stick around...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">