• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Aid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfreier

I am 18 from Wyoming and looking to file for financial aid (for college in Florida). To apply for financial aid you must use your parents tax returns. I was wondering if I could use my own tax returns if my parents WERE NOT claiming me as a dependent and I WAS claiming myself. That would make me elegable for a lot more financial help... correct?

Thanks,
Steven

J

justathought

I'm not a lawyer, but I've filled out quite a few financial aid forms... I wish what you are asking is true. I moved out before 18 and have claimed myself since, however the definition of a tax dependant is different from the definition of an educational dependant.

An educational dependant is anyone under a certain age (23, I believe) and single. Unless you fit these qualifications, the government thinks your parents *should* be contributing to your higher education, regardless of the case. Same theory when child support goes until the end of undergraduate study instead of the age of majority (18). Whereas a tax dependant is something like more than 50% of your living expenses are provided by someone else.

Bummer, huh?! I wish it were otherwise because I'm about to turn 23 and still require my parents tax information! But, because I turn 23 after January 1st of this year, they still see me as being under 23?!?!?! Even thought I've been out of the house for over 5 years and claiming myself just as long! It kills me because I work full-time and they add my full-time earnings to my parents and because I'm dependant in their eyes, they think my parents should support me and close to my full salary should be available for educational purposes. Not the case!!!!!

So, in a long round about way of saying it, no--it doesn't help you because they don't let you do it. My financial aid officer told me point blank it would be better financially for me to get married!

But good luck in the process!!! It's worth it in the long run!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">