• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bobc

North Carolina
I have an H1-B visa and can meet substantial presence test in 2002. My wife's visa is dependent on my visa and she is not allowed to work.
My quandary is my 19 yearold son, who is a college freshman.
I pay out of state tuition(ouch!), and as he lives with us and is fully supported by me, i would like to claim as a dependent.
The problem is that his visa is an F-1 student visa.
If I get a ITIN for him can I claim him as a dependent, I know this is not usally available on an F1 visa, but seems reasonable given the support & fees I pay out.
Home some tax lawyer can advise me.

L

loku

You should be able to take the dependency exemption for your son.

Taxpayer identification numbers for aliens. If your dependent is a resident or nonresident alien who does not have and is not eligible to get an SSN, the IRS will issue your dependent an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Write the number in column (2) of line 6c of your Form 1040 or Form 1040A. To apply for an ITIN, use Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

It usually takes about 30 days to get an ITIN. You can download Form W-7 for free at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">