• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An Issue of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TR041

Maybe if I approach my above listed problem in a different aspect, it may make more sense. Would a school district be within the law (NYS), if they state (this was a verbal statement, there is nothing written ANYWHERE that indicates this policy) that an excuse written for a student by a parent because of illness is not valid. Can a school district take away the parent's right to say their minor child was ill and that is the reason they are late. The district accepts excuses for full day sickness from a parent and the district also accepts excuses for in late sickness from elementary age children, they do not however consider a high school student's parent's excuse for an in-late to school as a valid note, it must be from a doctor, laywer, etc. Isn't there an aspect of discriminating against the high school parents here? The principal told me that high school parents will lie for their kids so therefore they refuse to accept a parent's excuse for in-late as valid and will punish the child with a 4:30 detention. Isn't the district pushing themselves into my home and taking over my rights as a parent? (Just for the record, my daughter has 3 in-lates due to illness since September 01, hardly an excessive amount-the district also has it on file that she has been under medical care for migraines for the last four years, but they didn't even consider that).

If I am a parent and I am responsible for my minor child in every other aspect of his/her life, why then can a school district tell me that they don't recognize my note as much as they would a doctor. How many people run to a doctor if they child wakes up with a headache, or better yet, if I were a physician and my child was going in late, would a note from me then be acceptable...isn't that discriminating against me for not being in the medical field. I just don't think a school district should be able to refer to me as a liar. Nor do I think that they should have the right to pick and choose who they will accept excuses from.

Any advice on this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">