• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legal troubles

I live in Northern California and have a question about judgement liens. About 10 years ago, I was involved in a auto accident and the ruling was against me. The other party had put a judgement lien against me ever since then in this county. I understand the judgement liens is valid for 10 years from the start of ruling. Is this only valid in ther same county? What happens if I move to a different county within the 10 years? Is there any legal way I can avoid the lien?

Issue#2:
My lawyer who was handling the above case no longer practices law. The problem is that he already collected all the money ahead of time. He has not notified me of his retirement. My understanding is that once a lawyer is signed on to your case he is responsible for your case until the full resolution of yur case. Is this correct? Furthermore, what can I do in this case? Can I get my money back?

Help!

"Legal Troubles " 2/13/02

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

legal troubles said:
I live in Northern California and have a question about judgement liens. About 10 years ago, I was involved in a auto accident and the ruling was against me. The other party had put a judgement lien against me ever since then in this county. I understand the judgement liens is valid for 10 years from the start of ruling. Is this only valid in ther same county? What happens if I move to a different county within the 10 years? Is there any legal way I can avoid the lien?

MY RESPONSE: In California, a judgment is good for 10 years and "renewable" for another 10 years. The judgment is good, and collectible, from most every place on Earth - - not merely the county.

Issue#2:
My lawyer who was handling the above case no longer practices law. The problem is that he already collected all the money ahead of time. He has not notified me of his retirement. My understanding is that once a lawyer is signed on to your case he is responsible for your case until the full resolution of yur case. Is this correct? Furthermore, what can I do in this case? Can I get my money back?

MY RESPONSE: I've got news for you. When the judgment was rendered against you, your case was "over" and your attorney has no more responsibility. A judgment, that is not appealed, ends a case. And, when a case is ended, the attorney / client relationship ends. You are not entitled to any money from your attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">