• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT property tax on vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

celtgirl

recently received back taxes bill from a collection agency stating i owe taxes on a vehicle i sold in 94. taxes are owed in the state of connecticut, and I moved from ct 12 years ago! have never received any notice till now! i have nothing to prove that i sold this vehicle - that was 8 years ago. no cancelled checks for anything that i did pay on the vehicle when i lived there - 12 years ago! how can they track me down after all this time and say i owe taxes?

L

loku

The statute of limitations has most likely run on any taxes you might have owed on the sale; however, it is possible that if no return was filed, the statute has not yet run. In such a situation, you should ignore this and they will most likely stop their collection efforts. If they do talk to you, tell them you do not owe any tax. Don’t tell them any more, or you could possibly reinstate the debt even if the statute of limitations has run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">