• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying taxes on rent collected.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dipinj

I am purchasing a house which will be my primary place of residence. I plan on renting out 2 of the rooms. Can I claim the money they give me monthly a gift instead of income??

I know that one person is allowed to give another person up to 11,000 for the 2002 calendar year. So if each of them gives me $600/month for rent, they will only have given me $7200/each per year. Which is far under the gift limit. If I cannot claim the rent as a gift, what are my options?? If I do claim the rent as a gift what are the consequences? Thanks in advance.

L

loku

You can not legally claim the rent money as a gift. It is rent and the law says you must report it as rent.

J

J. Ducaine

make sure you take all of the advantages of a rental - look over Schedule E for applicable deductions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">