• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099'd self-employed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hunter46

my ex-boss just informed me that i have been self-employed by him for the last tax year. he was withholding taxes from some of my paychecks. i drove semi for him, his truck and trailers, he paid all expenses. i was paid a monthly insurance amount to be put towards an insurance medical plan. the week before i was to receive my w2's from him, i told him it was a law that i be given the forms by 31 of january, i still have not received any wage statements from him, he says that since i am self-employed, i just need to file a 1099 with my tax preparer. i believe that he must provide me with some form of wage distibution fact sheets? i was hired by him as an employee, but he has told me that his accountant says i have to be hired as self-employed. now it appears as though i owe around $4500 in taxes, which i don't have! any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you dar

J

J. Ducaine

if he withheld taxes then you are an employee, and the withheld amounts should be credited to your account with the irs. if this is true, then stop right here and demand your w-2 (not 1099) evidencing past withholdings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">