• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax deductability of Mortgage Broker Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ibm9545

Please help me with a tax related question concerning mortgage broker fees.

Here's the situation:

I recently relocated to another state for a new job and used a mortgage broker for financing. On the closing instructions to the title company from the mortgage broker it states:

"please remit to broker $325 processing fee, $30 courier fee, and the mortgage broker fee of $1643.68 (POC) all NCM fees are net funded."

On the HUD1 it does not show in either origination fee or discount fee lines. On the 1099 I received from the lender the points paid box is blank.

My question (I realize it is a long shot and have not been able to find any reference to it anywhere) is the following:

Is this in effect hidden points that were in the loan terms that I received from the mortgage broker. The lender paid the mortgage broker for finding me as a borrower. That payment from the lender I actually paid indirectly through my interest rate. Does this qualify as points for itemized deduction purposes? Surely I am not the first person who has ever had this thought.

Thanks for all of your help!

IBM9545

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">