• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to be audited soon??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CamillaCat

Hi, this is my first time using/posting to this site. Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Ok, my fiancee has a daughter who does not live with him, but he is always current on support and has every other weekend visitation. Anyway, the biological mom has never worked. For year 2000, he was told by both lawyers that he could claim his daughter on his taxes (we didn't get anything in writing, we know now we should have). Mom did not like this, but she wasn't filing. So, he claimed her. This past christmas, he gets a letter stating daughter was double claimed. We found out that the grandmother (the mom's mom) claimed her. We're not sure why, but she is not amending, so he knows they will be audited. We are pretty sure grandma pays mom's (and daugther's for that sake) rent and a few other things. Between grandma and my fiancee, we're not real sure who paid more than 50%.

My question is, since my fiancee is the father of the child, and pays good child support on time, AND he was told by the lawyers he could claim her, will this info. help in his audit? Or will it still be determined who paid more than 50%? (ps..they were never married)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">