• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abusive language

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drama11

Hello..I would love some advice. I am in the LA area and I signed up for a 22 week acting class for 650 dollars (alot of money for me as a struggling artists). I signed a contract for the class saying that I wouldn't get a refund after the first two classes. That seemed fine as I wasn't about to quit a class. I am not a flake, nor am I lazy. Unfortunately, something happened on the third class. I misunderstood some assignment and voiced my concern over my confusion. The teacher tore into me, publicly humiliating me and insulting me, saying that I was too smart and that if I wanted to act I'd have to check my brain at the door, that I looked miserable and uptight, had a bitter voice, was obviously unable to learn any other way than in an academic setting, sulked and put me on the spot telling the class how I wasn't listening to anything they said because I was closed up as a person. He ended by telling me to go "stew in my own personal hell".

So, I was very upset, being insulted and publicly humiliated and left the class crying (I'm embarrassed to say, but true). I then called up and asked for a refund as I couldn't learn in that abusive setting. They completely denied it and continued to insult me calling me childish. I wrote a formal letter (of which I've kept a copy) requesting a refund and explaining how I was insulted and humiliated and unable emotionally to learn in such a setting. They ignored that request.

My question is--I want a partial refund and so I'm planning on taking them to small claims court for at least 50% of my money back. Do I have a chance? Any legal rulings that could help my case?

THANKS!

D

dorenephilpot

If you quit going to class during the period for which refunds were allowed to be given, then you probably were entitled to a refund.

Small-claims court is the way to go in a case like this.

You would present the evidence that you have about why you should receive the refund I hope you saved a copy of your contract. If not, you can have the court order your opponent to provide you with a copy.

Then the other side would be able to present evidence of why you should not receive a refund.

If you win, the other side will have to give you a refund and likely have to pay your litigation expenses.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">